Tuesday 21 June 2011

Comfortably Numb.

At the start of April 2011, I returned to see my podiatrist and he scanned my foot again. The good news was that the neuroma had shrunk by 80% but the bad news was that the bones in my foot were rubbing the 20% of what was left. This was the cause of the continued discomfort and pain.

Robin, my podiatrist, (www.thebarnclinic.co.uk) was still keen to give the foot more time to heal as he advised that inflammation from the procedure could be the cause of the pain. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I went with that suggestion and agreed to try new orthotics to spread the weight across the front of my biomechanically deformed and useless tarsal area.

So the orthotics (http://bit.ly/mhkQnm) have been in my shoes now for just over a month and though my foot does feel eased when I’m wearing them, as soon as I go back to barefoot the pain revs up a notch, so I think I’m going to go again for another round of the cryo-injection therapy. Robin seems to think if we give it a really good blast this time around then there's a 50% chance the nerve might die back never to return again, which is a good and bad thing. It does mean I’ll have a patch on my foot which will always be numb; no nerve = no feeling; but it does mean that the neuroma can’t come back. Ever.

Goodbye, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment