Saturday 18 June 2011

How it all began

Although I knew it before it had been confirmed, in May 2010 my podiatrist confirmed my worst fears, I had a Morton’s Neuroma in the third web space on my left foot. A thickening of the nerve had, over a period of time created scar tissue which in turn gave me burning sensations in my foot and aching and numbness in my fourth toe. The pain had been my constant companion just a few weeks earlier on my 26.2 mile journey from Greenwich to The Strand as I completed the London Marathon. I know running was a contributory factor to my pain but I had tried for four years to get through on the ballot and finally 2010 was my year for success, nothing was going to stop me, including the pain. After all I’d had it bubbling away for about a year already. I knew what the prognosis was in January when I went to see my GP, even though she hadn’t got a clue what the cause of the pain was, so I went ahead with the training and the race. It was worth it, it was one of the best days of my life and I’ll never forget how emotional I got pushing myself mentally and physically to the finish line. But it did pretty much end my five-year running habit.

9VCJUT28C3RE

No comments:

Post a Comment