Wednesday 22 June 2011

Touching the Void


There is only one problem with going for the cryo again; I have to pay for it again. So here’s where the shoes come in. I’ve decided to sell my herd to pay for the procedure. You might not think selling shoes is a good idea but trust me, ebay is a constant conveyor belt of high quality, used shoes. I should know, I bought a once worn pair of £750 Jimmy Choo boots for a fraction of their retail value a few years ago. Brown, pointy, 3 inch heel…..hmmmmmmmm….sorry I digress.

I started to drag all the shoes boxes out and suddenly I realised that all of these shoes had been places with me, they had been to a party, a wedding, a funeral, a holiday; they were part of my history, my shoes told my story. They told me about the person I’d wanted to be and the persona I’d presented to others, they reminded me of good times and bad. When I got drunk and promised ‘never again’, when I danced all night in Ibiza until I couldn’t feel my feet any more, or the night I needed a ‘piggy-back’ to the car park because my feet hurt so much in those purple suede platforms. All in all I had almost 30 pairs of shoes and boots to move on either through sales or charity. I had become a shoe horder (some may say, 'herder'). Next stop 'A Life of Grime'.

And the weird thing, I’m actually looking forward to parting company with them because it means I can get the cryo and focus on running next year’s London Marathon, which is my ultimate goal. Oh yeah and I get some space back in my house. If you’ve visited me recently you may have noticed the space under my stairs is no longer a space, it’s crammed full of boxes. I would like to see the void again.

No comments:

Post a Comment